SvenskaEnglishGermanPolish

                            Responsible for the content: Lena Johansson, Karlskrona kommun. Photo: Lena Johansson unless otherwise stated 

Heyday

When Gustav III (1746–92) took over power in 1771, the Navy Yard entered a new period of prosperity. The first decades of the century had seen a change in the military balance in the Baltic. Russia had extended her borders to the Gulf of Finland where she established the future capital of Saint Petersburg and the naval base of Kronstadt, and in 1748 Sweden began to build the Sveaborg fortress outside Helsinki to protect her eastern frontiers.
 
The Swedish Navy was reorganised in two parts, the Main Fleet based on Karlskrona and the Archipelago or Army Fleet, based in Stockholm and at Sveaborg. A major problem was that warships had a relatively short working life, a difficulty the Navy tried to resolve by the construction of huge dry docks in which ships could be built, repaired or simply stored there during the winter months.