SvenskaEnglishGermanPolish

                            Responsible for the content: Lena Johansson, Karlskrona kommun. Photo: Lena Johansson unless otherwise stated 

Growth and expansion

In the late autumn of 1679, the King and his retinue stepped ashore on Trossö. Without delay the Kingdom’s foremost shipwrights, architects, fortification engineers and builders began their labours. Streets, Squares and the various quarters of the future town were marked out, and in 1680 Karl XI granted a charter to Karlskrona. The whole undertaking was carried out with single-minded energy and determination.
 
In order to encourage trade and settlement in the new town, the King rescinded the charters of the neighbouring boroughs of Ronneby and Kristianopel and their burghers and tradesmen were more or less compelled to move to Karlskrona. Almost from the very beginning Karlskrona had a markedly international character.
 
A considerable number of Germans, in particular tradesmen, took up residence in the town and experienced craftsmen were brought from the Finnish province of Österbotten and the Skeppsholmen yard in Stockholm to work at the Navy Yard.