SvenskaEnglishGermanPolish

                            Responsible for the content: Lena Johansson, Karlskrona kommun. Photo: Lena Johansson unless otherwise stated 

What is the history of the Naval City of Karlskrona?

At the end of the 17th century Sweden was a major European power and had managed to acquire territory in parts of northern Germany and what is now Finland, Estonia and Latvia. The Baltic Sea provided the link that united the various parts of the kingdom. Danish attempts in the 1670’s to regain lost provinces were successfully thwarted by King Karl XI (1655–97).

The Navy was the principal instrument by which Sweden could exert effective control of her new territories on the other side of the Baltic, and after years of deliberations it was finally decided to establish a new base for the Navy in the eastern part of the Blekinge
archipelago. Unlike Stockholm, this naval base was free from ice for large parts of the year, and furthermore would be able to assist the policy of Swedification in the former Danish provinces.
 
The rugged terrain of Trossö and the other nearby islands provided an extremely favourable location for a naval base. In addition, there was a narrow and deep fairway, which could easily be defended and sufficient room in which to construct a large protected dock. From the very beginning the new base was envisaged as a united whole, complete with fortifications, harbours, dockyards and a civilian town with supply, commercial and administrative structures.