SvenskaEnglishGermanPolish

                            Responsible for the content: Lena Johansson, Karlskrona kommun. Photo: Lena Johansson unless otherwise stated 

THE ENVIRONS

 

The establishment of Karlskrona had a considerable effect on the neighbouring districts and large quantities of goods such as foodstuffs, timber, tar and iron, were delivered both to the town and the Admiralty. In particular, commerce flourished when the naval base was being built and in times of war when there was an increased military presence in the town.

Although the new town lacked the water needed to power water mills and manufactories, there was a waterfall in nearby Lyckeby. A Crown Mill produced flour for the bakery on Stumholmen.
From the end of the 17th century burghers, officials and officers acquired homesteads outside Karlskrona. By acquiring several farms connected estates were created. Those functioned as suppliers of goods that the Admiralty needed, and as summer estates. 
 
Built in 1785–86 for the Admiral Superintendent of the Navy Yard, Fredric Henric af Chapman, his country residence was one of the most singular architectural creations produced in Sweden during the eighteenth century. The house is situated in a beautifully landscaped “English” park. Skärva had its own small harbour from which Estate products was sent for sale in the town.