SvenskaEnglishGermanPolish

                            Responsible for the content: Lena Johansson, Karlskrona kommun. Photo: Lena Johansson unless otherwise stated 

STUMHOLMEN ISLAND

From the very beginning it was planned that the various units of production and supply together with workshops and storehouses should be located to the eastern part of Karlskrona. The military installations on Stumholmen date from the eighteenth century to the 1950’s.

Up until the 1970’s the Navy employed a considerable number of people on Stumholmen, but the whole district is now fully integrated into the civilian life of Karlskrona. Opened in 1997, the Naval Museum on Stumholmen contains a comprehensive permanent collection and presents numerous temporary exhibitions relating to the history of the Navy and the dockyard.