SvenskaEnglishGermanPolish

                            Responsible for the content: Lena Johansson, Karlskrona kommun. Photo: Lena Johansson unless otherwise stated 

TROSSÖ

 

The layout of Karlskrona and its fortifications are the result of the joint efforts of Erik Dahlberg, Nicodemus Tessin the elder and Carl Magnus Stuart. Although Stuart’s proposal for the new town was confirmed in 1683 it was superseded by a new plan in 1694.

The naval harbour was to be in the south part of the town, a district for the burghers in the north, and the Navy’s supply and support installations in the east. The principal axis of the town is from north to south and follows the two Kungsgatan streets over the Great Square and the Admiralty Square to the Main Guardhouse at the entry to the Naval base.
Still today Trossö is divided according to the original vision: the northern part of the island is where the civil city is, while the Naval base is in the south.